Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Talkin 'Bout My Generation

Have you ever really thought about the generation you live in? This is something I often think about. Growing up seemed normal, I was your average 80's child with my scrunchies and Fraggle Rock backpack. I never thought about generation or fitting in with the times. My day's were filled with school, recess and Saved By the Bell (that Slater was a major hottie in my day). This whole generation confusion started occurring the summer before I began high school. I found myself enjoying Led Zepplin and Jefferson Airplane more than I did the Backstreet Boys and Britney. Most of my after school shopping was spent in thrift stores rather than the mall. My favorite pair of pants wasn't your hipster low rise jeans, they were plaid, polyester bell bottoms that I had to safety pin in order to keep up (no belt loops). Sure, I got teased a bit, some of the more "hip" girls would ask me where I shop, and I always told them. It did help that I had a few partners in crime that, too, were obviously lost in some generational warp. I guess we never realized that we weren't fitting in with the times. We merely spent our day's hanging out in parking lots trying to attract boys. That's pretty normal 90's girl stuff right?
Flash forward to now....I haven't really thought about generation in a long time. I realized that I must always seem as though I am a child of the 60's, or early 70's pre- super disco era. People still comment me on my thrift store/yard sale fashions, however now I don't get smug looks or criticized like I did in high school, I get...compliments. Unlike the clothes I wore in high school that were "dated" my clothing is now "vintage." Fashion and music always come back around. Case in point, Cameron Crow's film, Almost Famous which brought back the return of the faux fur coat, worn perfectly by Miss Penny Lane. Oh how I covet the jacket she wears in that movie.
Each generation has something wonderful about it. The 80's had Devo, the 90's had grunge and well the year 2000 and up just seems like a mixture of every decade below it. Who ever thought leggings would make a comeback?
The moral of all of this, you may ask? Pick your generation and go with it. Each person has their own unique aura about them. I seem to put off this hippie bohemian vibe that just happens to be in style right now, and that's, well....great, for now until grunge makes a return. Hang on to the generation your representing, it will rear its head again.

No comments: