Monday, September 17, 2007

The nasty cold that changed my life.

Why is it that just when you're hanging on to the last delicate threads of summer you suddenly get a cold? I was up in Canada on a most amazing girls trip when I noticed my ears getting a little muffled. "I'm not getting sick, its not going to happen, I am here to have fun." A tad hungover in bed the next day, I said to myself "hmmm I guess I beat it."
I suppose days of travel followed by more days of travel down to Oregon for a look at "possibly relocating" with my family made the cold so bad that I completely lost my voice for a job interview. "I am a very confident person" I whispered to my future boss.
I got the job, and I warned her that next time she could expect a lot, and I mean a lot more talking out of this girl. She smiled, I hope that's a good thing.
So aside from this awful cold thing that has had me down for a over a month, still hanging on after a very ineffective dose of antibiotics, several times daily elderberry and zinc, nasty teas and something called "green lightning" that I mix with my juice in the morning. I realized something.
Yesterday sitting in the car, I was a bit down on myself for not practicing yoga daily (you see I am a yoga teacher and when I get out of practice, boy do I feel it) I also haven't been running, walking with my children (much) or bicycling. What is wrong with me, I feel like a sloth. This is when I started thinking about how I need to get back to where I was a month ago. I was fitter, faster, stronger and in my mind....better.
What is wrong with this mindset? A lot. Why are we constantly seeking something that we once were? How many times have you thought to yourself, "Man, if I could only get back into those pre-baby jeans, I would be so happy." Or, "Life would be so good if I had my ex back in my life." Lets just all stop here for a moment and vow to never look back, never wish we had something we once had. I realized, while riding in the car looking at a most amazing early autumn sky that wow, we are so fortunate to be constantly changing and growing. As humans, we move through this labyrinth of wrong turns and hard times that eventually show us the way down the correct path.
Yes, I had a set back, no my practice isn't where it was, I can't do a full handstand right now because there is a chance I might drown in nasal secretions (sorry) but....I am where I am in my life doing the best that I can. No, I won't ever go back to where I was because lets face it, no one has invented a time machine that actually works. But I can be present in my life moving on with the new day, to the new me, constantly reinventing myself and loving every bit of what life brings me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent! I totally agree with you about not looking back. Only look back to enjoy the good times and to learn from the bad ones but never yearn for something that won't ever happen again. It may happen like something in the past but never quite the same way. Thanks for all your blogs, I love reading them, keep it up!

rustyb809 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.