Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tap Dancing Is For Boys!

As parents, we are constantly trying to find new and interesting activities for our children that will both enrich and add fun to their little lives. I have always imagined involving both of my children in the magical world of dance. I have secret little fantasies of them performing numerous numbers that would just wow the pants off of any Broadway reviewer. Although my kids are still young, my son is 4 and my daughter 2, in my mind there is simply no reason why I shouldn't get them started like...now!
It all started when my son saw a video clip on Disney of a little red headed boy named Daniel Cook. You see, Daniel goes around Toronto discovering new things to try. On this particular day, he was trying out tap dancing, and boy did he love it. As soon as my son Jack saw Daniel dancing, he hopped up off the couch and began moving his feet, arms and I will say it wasn't bad. "Do you like that sweetie?" I asked. He smiled and said "Yeah, I want to tap dance." You can only imagine how my mind started moving. I pictured a young Fred Astaire, or more modern Justin Timberlake. In my opinion, there is nothing more attractive than a man who can dance. It just demonstrates dedication and a love for the arts. Wait, hold on....I still have to talk to my husband about this.
So, as you can imagine when I told my husband, who I will say is very sensitive, although at times I think to myself where did I find Mr. Caveman? You see, I don't think he has a real problem with it even though his first words were "tap dancing is for girls." Of course I rebutted with "Hello...what about Fred Astaire, Jack Haley from the Wizard of Oz, Albert Finney as Daddy Warbucks in Annie, and numerous other male tap dancing legends, did I mention Justin Timberlake? Come on, the ladies love him." Point taken, that was actually pretty easy. "Just don't put him in ballet." Which then brought up the very interesting question of what a male ballerina is even called.
My Father, Jack's grandpa on the other hand wasn't so convinced. I had mentioned earlier that day to my Mom that I was going to put Jack in tap dancing. Sitting at the table with a very concerned look on his face he asks me, "are you really going to put that boy into tap dancing?" Wow, you would have thought his world just crashed around him, this coming from the father who has raised two excellent hunters (my brothers), I am a vegetarian go figure. "Yes, Dad I am." I then went on to give him my whole "Tap dancing male legends" schpil. He wasn't buying it. The funny part came when he suggested that it was me who wanted to put Jack in tap and he was sure there was no desire from this young 4 year old to do anything of the sorts. "Do you really want to tap dance Jack?" asked my father. Just then Jack did the most amazing, little shuffle that would make your heart smile. "Does that answer your question?" Was all I needed to say.
As you can imagine, I hate gender roles. I will be the first to say however that when my son picks out a pink balloon over a blue balloon (he's only done this once) I do feel a little urge to say, "Oh honey, don't you want the blue one, pink is for girls." Instead though, I stop, and take a look at that little boy's face who is just so happy to have a balloon regardless of the color. I see a little man that has no clue that colors are associated with certain stereotypes and that to be a "tough man" you should always choose something green or blue. He is alive, happy and most of all he is unique. For the most part he chooses trucks over dolls and green over purple but if he wants to try on his sisters tutu and tap dance his little heart out all over the kitchen then by golly that is what he is going to do.
He starts tap lessons next month...Ahh, the satisfaction of the sound of little clicking heels.

4 comments:

Maureen Nagle said...

Hi Yogamama. Thanks for commenting on my blog. We just moved to Ireland, and we're loving it. It's certainly helped that we've woken up to sunshine almost every day! As for dancing & gender roles, have you ever seen the movie Billy Elliot? If not, definitely check it out. It's about a young boy growing up in Northern Ireland who discovers that he has a real ability to dance. It's a great movie, inspirational even, but not cheesey by any means. It was turned into a musical in London a few years ago, which was a big hit. Hope you can ejoy it! -Maureen

Unknown said...

Hi Yogamama,

I loved what you shared about your boy and tap dancing. Now, I must admit some bias as I am a tap dancer. Thanks for working to win the men in your life over! Among the dance forms, I have noticed that tap appeals to boys in a very special and unique way. I wish more parents would be open to putting their boys into tap dance as an alternative (or a supplement) to sports... Kudos to you!

Please check out my blog when you can at www.TapDanceBlog.com for tap videos and information.

SHOSHANA said...

Hello, tap dancing fans... I am a casting producer for Disney-owned ABC's hit show Wife Swap and we are currently looking to cast a families of tap dancers. We are currently in are fourth season and would love to cast a family with a strong view on gender roles. All your comments are exactly what I'm looking for. ABC gives $20,000 to every family that tapes an episode,.. so it is definitely worth giving me a shout. Even if you'd just like to refer a family.. if the family you refer tapes an episode,you get $1,000 as a thank you from us!!! So, don't be shy, the world should here what you have to say.. In order to qualify, you must be married or living with your partner and have a child or children in the ranges of 7-18. If you're interested, please call me at 646-747-7948 ASAP... You can also email me at Shoshanawifeswap@gmail.com or shoshana.ritzler@rdfnewyork.com Don't miss out on this opprtunity!!

D said...

hello, very much enjoyed this - my son is so excited to start tap in a week, we went and got his shoes last night and he wanted to show them off to everyone, the gender thing also gets me all the time, almost everyone has been supportive and the ones that aren't don't need to be involved (and they won't realize what they are really missing) - we have tried soccer and t-ball, but he just doesn't like them. in the end i think it is just about giving them all the opportunity to try everything they can, doesn't matter if they are playing sports, an instrument or dancing, as long as they are doing something is the important part (and having fun)... have fun and thanks for writing this - dustin